Your green friends need tender loving care, too! While you might think coconut oil is just for your skin and hair, it can also be used on the leaves and stems of indoor plants for added health. Plus, you can also use mineral oil for dust-free leaves and mild soap and water for cleaning. Keep reading to find out more about how to care for your indoor plants!
Cleaning Houseplants with a Microfiber Cloth or Duster
Keeping your houseplants clean is not only important for their health, but it can also give them a more vibrant look. One of the best ways to clean your plants’ leaves is by using a microfiber cloth or duster. This method is easy and efficient; simply use the cloth to gently wipe down the leaves or use a duster for larger plants. To ensure that all areas of your home are kept clean, you can even use the same duster on both your houseplants and other surfaces.
Cleaning Houseplants with Mild Soap and Water
Another natural way to clean your plant’s leaves is with mild soap and water. Follow these steps:
- Spray down the leaves with distilled water and let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow any dust or build up to loosen.
- Mix a few drops of mild soap with distilled water in a spray bottle.
- Spray the soapy water onto the leaves, making sure to cover both sides.
- Use a soft cloth to gently wipe down the leaves, being careful not to damage them.
- Rinse the leaves with distilled water to remove any soap residue.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your houseplants looking healthy and vibrant.
Cleaning Plant Leaves with Mineral Oil
Although olive oil is often thought of as a natural cleaning agent, it should not be used on your plants’ leaves. The oil can cause damage to the leaves, accelerate dust build up, and draw more pests. If you are looking for an alternative to olive oil, you can try using a mixture of milk and water or horticultural or neem oils. Whichever method you choose to use make sure that your plants are clean without being over-watered in order to maintain their health and beauty.
- Mineral oil is one of the most effective and safest methods for cleaning the leaves of your plants.
- Put a drop of mineral oil on each leaf and spread it over the top side with your fingers.
- This will help to prevent dust from accumulating quickly, as well as providing a shiny coating for the leaves.
- This method can be used on any type of plant.
Using Coconut Oil to Keep Your Plants Healthy
- Coconut oil is a safe and natural option for cleaning your plants’ leaves.
- It acts as a moisturizer and gives a healthy, dust-free finish to the leaves and stems.
- Rub a small drop of coconut oil on each leaf and stem using your fingers.
- This will not only keep the leaves clean but also make the roots moist and absorbent.
- Your indoor plants will thank you for the added health benefits.
With the right knowledge and practice, you can keep your green friends looking beautiful and healthy. From coconut oil to mild soap and water, there are many methods to keep your plants dust-free and looking great. Find the best method for you and your plants and you’ll be sure to enjoy the benefits of a beautiful and healthy plant.